PLE - personal learning environment

MOOC allows the audience to learn independently online, and the open learning platform enables people from different background to connect with one another in the virtual space. 

Regardless of the age and occupation of the users, this blog post, or the page, can be used as MOOC by providing basic information on how I learned how to do coding using Scratch website. 

Visit: https://scratch.mit.edu/ It's 100% free and you can simply open an account by providing your email (so that you can start publishing your contents) and choosing a password.

Both computers and mobile phones can be used to access the website and if you prefer to use the platform without internet, you can also download the program. 

People who can join this blog will be able to take away any basic knowledge on how to create the account on Scratch and start creating their own content by watching a couple of videos that I benefited from.

Want to know more about scratch? Let's drive right in to see some examples!

Once you get to the website, you will see tons of amazing Scratch contents that were created from all over the world and published for you to see as both a viewer and a programmer (click 'inside'' to see the coding page).

Below is what I created as my first project!

(on the right, under instruction, you can briefly tell your audience how they can play the game that you created)

(Once you click 'see inside', you can see how the creator used different features in the coding page to conduct the project! It's user friendly and all color-coded on the left to easily identify how the main character, called 'Sprite' in this website, can move or function in the different backgrounds that you get to choose)


An audience can use this blog as a one-stop-shop where they can get information and use it as a reference to start using the website. Also, the viewers can click on the image that will take them to my own Scratch account to see the coding page and leave a comment to get connected with me!

One way that I can grow my community and this social space is to end the post with an enduring question so that the viewers can share their thoughts. 

Furthermore, this blog can offer different events with fun themes to engage the audience to produce complex, high-quality projects and compete with other users. 

Comments

  1. Hi Sara,

    I think you are talking about Scratch‘s learning community and also creating stuffs in it to explore. I also like Scratch as it is wonderful to start learning coding and creating things. I think the learning community you mentioned is a great direction for Scratch to make some changes in the future. Current learning community is organized by projects' categories and studios names. However, projects' categories are limited, they only provide animations, art, games, music, stories and tutorials as their categories. In addition, when we take a look at users' interactions below each projects or project's post, most communication is one-directed. Users say something without others' replies and comments. Maybe we can explore how to make users' communication be more interactive to help them really learn things from interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara,
    I haven't used Scratch before but I find your description interesting! If I'm going to learn coding someday I'd definitely start with this. The visual design is really engaging and relaxing, and there are detailed steps of a certain project for other viewers to learn and practice. However, I also see that there's not much reply and I wonder if this community is really interactive? Or mostly people just log onto the website and learn and practice by themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sarah,
    I see you have mentioned MOOC for your PLE design. I used to try learning with MOOC but I found that there might be a lack of motivation for many people to complete online courses. The Scratch website you have proposed includes many interactive functions. I am really intrigued in your Scratch design! It seems to be a great way for beginners to learn coding, starting from cute little projects. However, I agree with Rong’s view that there are limited choices for the projects that you can create and it may not be interactive for many users since communication cannot be created thoroughly. Having said this, it is still a very innovative way of start learning about coding for people like me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment